What is diversion and how can I get it?

In Tennessee many first time offenders are eligible to petition the court for diversion.

Diversion is a process where after entering a guilty plea and successfully serving a term of probation without violating, the record of conviction is expunged and no longer part of the public record.  (The expunction is still part of the official court record and can be seen by any judge if the person commits a new crime.)

Many criminal convictions in Tennessee are eligible for diversion, except sex crimes, DUI related crimes, and A or B Felony convictions.

To see if you are eligible for diversion, your attorney will need to order a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) background check for you.